Before I even start, would you do me a favour?
Would you watch that video just above these words? (RSS or email subscribers, you may need to click through to watch.) There, now. See? AMAZING.
You can make a real, tangible difference for real people. And you can do it by turning your consumption into generosity.
Instead of a holiday season of blind and mindless consumerism, we will use our daily spending to subvert consumerism.
Yes, we’ll use our spending to be generous.
You know how I love a good subversion of the empire….
And here’s how:
As (the wonderful, beloved) Mary DeMuth says, “This could revolutionize the way we think about our money. It’s a winsome way to capitalize on capitalism, by leveraging what we already do and spend to bring more giving funds to those in need.”
If you’d like to change the world with your spending-giving, here’s how to start:
- Sign up for a Pure Charity account. If you’re on Facebook, you can sign in through that, or create an account the old fashioned way.
- Install the browser plugin. This will make it so a Pure Charity icon will pop up when you’re browsing particular stores online (like Target, Gap, Amazon, Walmart, Macy’s, Priceline, even Groupon). If you purchase via the pop-up, a percentage of your purchase will feed into your charitable giving account. (You spend $, then make $, then give $).
- Register your main credit card with Pure Charity. This is the no brainer part of the process. Every time you use your credit or debit card at one of their participating merchants, you again receive a percentage of your purchase into your giving account.
- Then browse the projects (there are many) that you could potentially fund. To start funding, add your own funds to the account (via bank or debit/credit card). (In fact…I have just the project in mind….)
- Support your favorite project. (You can change the amount you support…it starts with $5 increments…by clicking the dollar amount and changing it.) These are time specific projects with a set amount of $. If that project doesn’t fund by the finish date, Pure Charity refunds the money back into your giving account.
- Share it with friends! There’s a strong social connection to this, where you can share buttons and widgets with your friends and followers, to generate interest in a cause you’re passionate about.
Now I admit it: I have a sneaky reason behind this. Oh, yes, I do.
I have something special in mind for your charitible giving account.
I’ll tell you more about our special Legacy Project soon….yes, it has to do with Haiti, and, yes, that horrible little video moment will be part of that announcement, and I am so excited to do this very real thing for my friends in Haiti – with you. I’m excited by the creative power of the people of God that are redeemeing and revolutionizing even our spending and consumption into something beautiful and generous.
Let’s do some good.